Monday, February 28, 2011

My Birth Plan

I have an idea of what I want to happen when I give birth to my daughter. I also realize that things don't always go as planned...

I have a terrible fear of needles. Have you read any of my posts during my IVF cycles? It took a ton of strength and willpower for me to give myself twice daily injections for 2 weeks straight and then to follow up with a fantastic trigger shot to the ass. I loved it! (Insert rolling eyes here...) And because I have this fear...I want to avoid any and all needles that I can while in labor.

Obviously, some needles cannot be avoided while in labor or giving birth to a baby. If I have to have a c-section, it is inevitable. I'm not that crazy to think that one could go through that without any needles. Duh! But I do not want an epidural if I don't need one. And I will be honest...I am terrified of having one. Like scared shitless!

I can totally do this! I know that....without a doubt. But most people seem to disagree. I have no problem with those that have had epidurals...I guess it is just my normal "to each their own" attitude. I try really hard to not judge others decisions in their own life. I just wish people would do the same for me. I cannot tell you how many other women have said "you have to get an epidural" like I don't have any other option. I do try to defend myself but mostly it is just answered with "you cannot give birth without it" or "there is no way you will be able to handle the pain". My new comeback is "well, when you give birth to my child...you can get your epidural". Period. End of subject.

My husband supports my decision and knows that I am free to change my mind at any point. And he knows that when I say I want an epidural that I am not being weak or ready to give up. It means that I am serious and things have changed for me.

No comments: